How are you guys doing today?
Have you ever taken a look at the ingredients list on a factory made bread and wondered why there has to be so many ingredients to make simple bread? Just that was the reason for me to start making my bread at home and this is my go to recipe for a simple whole wheat bread. Unlike what is found in many super market aisles, this recipe does not involve preservatives and harmful ingredients therefore making it a healthier bet
Here is my recipe and I know it takes some time to make it, but once you make bread at home then you will never want to buy a loaf from outside because it really does taste lovely.
- Wheat flour - 450 gms
- Yeast - 2 tsp
- Water - 300 ml ( warm water)
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Oil - ¼ cup
- Yogurt - ¼ cup
- Butter - to brush over the loaf
- Salt - ½ tsp
- In a large bowl add the water and sugar. stir well and then add the yeast .
- Once the yeast water starts to bubble add the flour, oil, yogurt and salt
- Mix well till it slowly comes together. This will be a soft and sticky dough.
- Empty the contents onto a well floured counter
- Knead for another 15 mins till the dough is nice and elastic
- Brush a little oil on the inside of a glass bowl and drop the dough into the bowl
- Leave to proof for 45 mins
- Once the dough has risen, drop the dough onto your counter
- Roll out into a rectangle and slowly roll into a log
- Tuck the side underneath the log and place the bread dough into a greased bread pan
- Cover and let it rise for another 30 mins
- Once you are ready to bake, bake in an pre hearted oven at 200 C for 25 min
- Take it out and cool on a cooling rack
- Cut the loaf only after completely cooling ( 2 hours)
- If you see the loaf is getting too dark while baking, cover with a foil