Hello Beautiful People!
How are you doing today?
I’m back with my Onam recipes and this time it is a super simple pickle that takes hardly anytime to make and is absolutely delicious! You do not really need to wait for the festivities in order to make this recipe. In fact my mum always makes this when we need a little spice in our food. Pickling and pickle making is an art and needs a lot of patience. I am talking about the traditional kind. Not the recipe I am about to share with you.
Traditionally, pickles take a while to make and need a lot of time, care and supervision. Pickling would ideally involve first curing / marinating the main ingredient. Then mixing up the spices, adding them in the right manner and then the process of fermentation. Carefully placing in the sun, giving it the occasional mix, checking to see if the oil and salt are balanced. All these are the perfect ingredients for a good pickle. And yet in this hurried world, when your looking for a quick fix, only the instant kind really works. So here is my take on the instant mango pickle.
- Raw Mango - 500 gms ( chopped fine around 3 cups)
- Garlic - 1 tbsp ( chopped fine)
- Ginger - 1 tbsp ( chopped fine)
- Turmeric - 1 pinch
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Gingely Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek Powder - 1 pinch
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 100 gms ( change to taste)
- Dry Red Chillies - 4
- Curry Leaves - 10
- Boiling Hot water - 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl add salt and turmeric to the mango pieces and set aside (1 hour)
- In a pan, heat the oil. When the oil gets hot, add the mustard seed and fenugreek seeds
- When the mustard begins to splutter add the dry chillies, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves
- Take the pan off the fire
- Then add the chilli powder, fenugreek powder, garlic and ginger
- Give it a good mix and then place it back to the fire. Fry till the raw garlic smell reduces
- Next add the mangos and and hot water
- Give it a good mix and add salt
- Cook til the mixture becomes a little thick
- Set aside and cool completely
- Store in a clean bottle and use immediately
- Use fresh fenugreek powder
- Raw mangoes work the best
- I have used home made chilli powder therefore the colour and taste will vary, do add according to the intensity of heat you can tolerate
- Place in the fridge and it should last you 3 - 4 days