Hello beautiful people!
Today I am back with another healthy focaccia bread recipe.
The basic focaccia bread recipe has been adapted from the book ‘How to BAKE’ by Paul Hollywood and since this recipe is so versatile, I have made this one with caramelised onions, fresh tomatoes, basil, peppers and garlic. Together this bread is perfect of a weeknight dinner with a warm bowl of soup. Now I know its summer and soup is not on anyone’s mind, but after a lot of swimming and exposure to cold cold drinks, the little one has a running nose and my throat feels all stuffy, so soup it shall be!
This recipe calls for dried oregano, chilli flakes and basil but you can use the fresh version of all these spices and they would still be absolutely divine.
If you havent read the earlier focaccia bread recipe, then here is the link.
- Flour - 500 gms
- Yeast - 10 gms
- Water - 360 ml
- Salt - 10 gms
- Olive oil - 30 ml
- For the topping
- Peppers - 2 of red , yellow ( julienned)
- Tomatoes - 3 ( cut round)
- Onions - 2 ( sliced)
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Chilli Flakes - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Basil dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano - ½ tsp
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp
- Fresh basil leaves - 5 - 8 ( optional)
- In the bowl of your food processor add all the ingredients for the bread except the salt
- Mix on low till the mixture comes together, then add the salt
- Mix for another 4 mins
- Oil a bowl and place the dough in it for 1 hour
- Alternatively this can be done with a large bowl and a wooden spoon, Once the dough comes together, knead the dough for 10 mins and place for proofing as said above
- Now while the dough proofs, in a skillet, add oil and garlic. Once the garlic sizzles, add the onions
- Wait till the onions begin to caramelise, then add the rest of the ingredients except the fresh basil
- Cook on high till the tomatoes get tender. Turn off the flame
- Pre Heat the oven to 200 C
- Once the dough has risen, prepare a baking pan by greasing with some olive oil
- Then make indents into the dough with the tip of your fingers
- Add the cooked vegetables to it and spread evenly. Sprinkle half of the fresh basil and add salt according to taste.
- Bake for 20 - 25 min or till the top becomes nice and golden
- Serve immediately with a garnish of fresh basil