In my last post I had mentioned how the starting of the school and me getting back to work leaves close to no time for other activities that includes cooking large spreads of food with various options and flavors. So a one pot dish is my go to and recipes such as these are my absolute favorite.
My 3 year old is always hovering around me while I am at the kitchen, so recipes that require a lot of prep and technique are not practical at that moment. So this recipe is a life saver when you have no time at hand and you want to serve up a healthy meal. The addition of rice makes it a wholesome meal and it does not have to be prepared in a separate vessel so one less dish to clean too!! yay!!The addition of fresh basil and red bell peppers, gives this dish a fresh twist with the goodness of bell peppers. I have used fresh tomatoes too. This allows you to keep the dish free from any sort of preservatives etc. But canned tomatoes can also be used.
- Chicken breast - 500 gm
- Tomatoes - 4 large ( pureed in a mixer)
- Red Onions - 2 large
- Garlic - 1 tbsp ( chopped fine)
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Basil - ¼ cup ( fresh)
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- Pepper - 2 tsp
- Chicken stock - 2 cups
- Long grain rice - 1 cup
- Frozen Peas - ⅓r cup
- Red Bell Pepper - 2 large ( sliced )
- Salt - 2 tbsp ( or as to taste)
- In a large bowl add the chicken with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Coat well and set aside
- Heat oil in a large pan. Then add the chicken pieces till brown and crisp . Set aside
- In the same pan add the onions and garlic. Sautee for 3 mins
- Then add the bell peppers and cook for a min
- Next add the tomato puree, bay leaf and basil. Season with salt
- After 1 min, add the chicken stock, frozen peas and rice. Cover and cook till the rice is done
- Finally cut the fried chicken breast and add it to the rice. Cover and cook for 2 mins
- Mix well and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with fresh basil and black olives ( optional)